‘On the first day of the week, at early Dawn they went to the tomb….’ he is not here, he is risen’. (Luke 24, 1, 6)
Many Irish dioceses and parishes will host dawn Masses on Easter Sunday morning. Dawn Mass is a very spiritual opportunity to celebrate Mass while watching the dawn break over the countryside.
Here are details of some of the places hosting an Easter Sunday dawn Mass this year:
Diocese of Ardagh and Clonmacnois
There will be a dawn Mass in Clonmacnois Monastic Site (Old Cathedral) at 5.30am on Easter Sunday morning.
The Parish of Ardagh/Moydow will also host a Dawn Mass at 6.00am in the village of Ardagh, Co Longford.
There will also be Dawn Masses at the following venues:
- Abbeylara, St Bernard’s Church Grounds at 7.00am
- Athlone, Coosan Point at 5.30am
- Drumlish, Kilmahon at 6.00am
- Drumshanbo, Poor Clare Convent Gardens at 6.00am
- Granard, Granardkille Cemetery at 6.00am
- Longford, Famine Remembrance Grounds, St Joseph’s Hospital at 5.30am
- Legan, New Cemetery at 6.00am
- Newtownforbes, Cemetery at 6.00am
Diocese of Clogher
Dawn Mass for Easter Sunday will be celebrated at the following venues in Clogher Diocese:
- Rossigh Bay, Lough Erne (Irvinestown), Co Fermanagh at 6.15am
- Holy Cross Cemetery, Lisnaskea, Co Fermanagh at 6.30am
- Killanny, Co Louth 7.00am
Diocese of Clonfert
The following venues will host Dawn Masses for Easter Sunday in the Diocese of Clonfert:
- Woodford Parish at 5.30am at the Grotto at Woodford Bay.
- Clontuskert Parish at 6.00am in Clontuskert Abbey.
- Ballinakill Parish at 6.00am in Ballinakill Park.
- Ballymacward Parish at 6.00am in Clonkeenkerril Cemetery.
- Taughmaconnell Parish at 6.00am in Taughmaconnell Cemetery.
- Loughrea Cathedral Parish at 6.00am on the Lake Shore at Long Point Loughrea.
Diocese of Cloyne
A Dawn Mass will be held in Macroom, Co Cork at 6.00am. The Mass, which will take place in Macroom GAA Car Park, is organised by the parish council. All are welcome and are advised to wear warm/weather appropriate clothing.
The Parish of Doneraile will celebrate a Dawn Mass at 5.45am on the Old Court Cemetery, Doneraile, Co Cork. The Mass will be celebrated by Father Aidan Crowley, PP, Doneraile with concelebrants Ven Archdeacon Gerard Casey PE and Father Martin Heffernan PE.
Saint Mary’s Church, Carrigtwohill, Co Cork will host a dawn Mass in the graveyard at 5.45am on Easter Sunday.
A Dawn Mass will take place in Shanagarry graveyard at 5.30am.
In Blarney there will be a Dawn Mass in Waterloo at 7.00am.
Diocese of Cork and Ross
Easter Sunday Dawn Mass will take place in the grounds of the Sacred Heart Church on the Western Road, Cork, beginning at 6.15am on Easter Sunday morning. All are welcome to take part in this special celebration.
A Dawn Mass will also be celebrated at the Marian Hall, Ballinhassig, Co. Cork at 6.00am. All welcome.
Diocese of Derry
Lavey Parish: Dawn Mass will be celebrated this year at 5.00am in the parochial grounds. Refreshments will be served in the grounds after Mass.
Archdiocese of Dublin
Ballyroan Parish will host an Ecumenical ‘Son-Rise’ celebration on Easter Sunday at Montpellier Hill (Hellfire Club) at 5:45am. This ecumenical Son-Rise celebration is a gathering of people from different religious traditions and beyond, who meet early on Easter Sunday morning to celebrate the resurrection of the son of God. The celebration will take about half an hour and everyone is welcome to light refreshments afterwards in the Ruah Centre, Ballyroan. [Note: This is not a Mass]
There will also be an Ecumenical service at the Bull Wall in Clontarf, Dublin 3, at 6.15am on Easter Sunday, followed by breakfast in St John the Baptist parish, Clontarf Road. This is not a Mass. [Note: This is not a Mass]
Diocese of Elphin
The following venues will celebrate Dawn Mass on Easter Sunday in the Diocese of Elphin:
- 6.00am St Anne’s Church, Sligo (Day Chapel)
- 6.30am St Joseph’s Cemetery, Castlerea
- 7.00am Loughnanéanne Park, Roscommon
- 7.00am Clogher New Cemetery (near St Patrick’s Church, Calry)
- 7.00am Knocknarea
Diocese of Kildare and Leighlin
Newbridge Parish: Saint Conleth’s Parish Church gardens in Newbridge, Co Kildare at 6.00am.
Diocese of Killala
There will be a Dawn Mass in Kilmurry Cemetery, Crossmolina at 6.00am.
Diocese of Killaloe
There will be an Easter Sunday Dawn Mass in Ilaunamanagh Cemetery, a breathtaking view over the Shannon Estuary in Shannon Parish, at 5.45am.
There will also be a Dawn Mass at Two Mile Gate at 6.00am.
Diocese of Limerick
There are a number of venues hostings Dawn Mass this Easter Sunday in the Diocese of Limerick:
- Saint Nicholas (Westbury): 5.30am Shannon fields.
- Adare: 5.30 am Dawn Mass of the Resurrection at Franciscan Abbey Ruins. (Limited seating available – please bring your own collapsible chair)
- Ballyagran/Colmanswell Rockhill/Bruree: 5.45am in Castletown
- Cratloe: 6.00am Dawn Mass at the Grotto, Sixmilebridge
- Shanagolden/Robertstown/Foynes: 6.00 am Sunrise Mass, Knockpatrick
Diocese of Meath
Kingscourt Parish will be hosting its 10th annual Dawn Mass on Easter Sunday morning. The Mass will be celebrated at the Mass Rock on Lough an Leagh Mountain at 5.55am. Breakfast afterwards supplied by the local ladies. Lough an Leagh Mountain is located in east Cavan between the towns of Bailieborough and Kingscourt.
Archdiocese of Tuam
A Dawn Mass for Easter Sunday will take place at 6.00am at the ancient Murrisk Abbey Co. Mayo, on the shores of Clew Bay, nestled beneath Croagh Patrick.
Sunrise is at 6:25am that morning in Murrisk so hopefully weather permitting there will be an opportunity to witness the sun of Easter Sunday rise through the East Window of the Abbey after Mass.
For those attending the venue is opposite the Croagh Patrick car park. It is advisable to park in the Croagh Patrick main car park in Murrisk and walk across the road by the National Famine monument down the short distance to the Abbey.
Additional dawn Mass listings will be added here as we receive the information.
Notice to those attending dawn Masses: Please check local parishes for more information on venues. People travelling to Masses are asked to arrive on time. Please bring warm clothing, a folding chair or stool (for your own comfort) and where possible share transport in order to assist with parking at venues.