24 August 2008
20 new seminarians to commence priesthood studies at St. Patrick’s College Maynooth
Today St Patrick’s College Maynooth welcomed 20 new seminarians who will commence their formation for the priesthood at the National Seminary. At the conclusion of the Introductory Programme at the end of September, four of the new seminarians from Northern dioceses will continue their studies at St Malachy’s College in Belfast.
Welcoming the new candidates, their families and friends to Maynooth, the President of the College, Monsignor Hugh Connolly, said:
‘Today as our thoughts and prayers accompany these 20 men who have taken the first step along the road to ordained ministry and to placing their lives at the service of Christ and of his people we recall Pope Benedict’s words to seminarians attending this year’s World Youth Day celebrations: ” You are a sign of hope and renewal for God’s people; and yours will be the task of building up the Lord’s house in the coming generation.”
‘I am delighted to welcome you to the National Seminary. You are about to begin a new and exciting journey, one that we share with you. This will be a time of tremendous personal growth as you enter formation – a new learning phase where you will push the boundaries of your ability. It will also be a time of transition as you adjust to a new environment and to a new way of life’, Monsignor Connolly continued.
‘At Maynooth we see ourselves as working in partnership with you. We believe in your ability to progress, to achieve your ambitions and realise your potential. We see our role as facilitators of that development; guiding you on the journey and providing the support and encouragement to help you succeed. Throughout your journey however you will above all be responding to the call of Christ himself who by the Sea of Galilee invited his first disciples with the words ‘Come follow me’.
Notes to editors
- At the end of September the number of seminarians in Maynooth will be approximately 70.
- St Patrick’s College Maynooth is the National Seminary for Ireland and has been forming men for the priesthood since 1795.
- The Trustees of the College are the Governing Body of the College. The membership is defined by successive Acts of Parliament. The current Trustees are the four Archbishops together with 13 other senior Bishops.
- The College comprises the seminary and the Pontifical University, which offers degrees in theology, philosophy and theology and arts.
- A breakdown, by diocese, of the 20 first year seminarians for 2008 is as follows:
Cork & Ross: 4
Down & Connor: 3
Waterford & Lismore: 1
President’s Office, St Patrick’s College, Maynooth. Tel: 01 708 3958, Fax: 01 708 3959, Email: [email protected]
Kathy Tynan, Catholic Communications Office (086 817 5674)