21 May 2008
School prayer card launch as part of the ‘Year of Vocation’
Venue: St Joseph’s College, 518 Ravenhill Road, Belfast
Time and Date: 1.30pm on Thursday 22 May 2008
Notes for Editors
- The school prayer card comprises a special prayer for guidance and is aimed at secondary school students, especially those who are sitting exams. The prayer card is being distributed to secondary schools North and South. The prayer card is also available as a pdf on www.yourvocation.ie
- The secondary school State examinations in the Republic consist of the Junior Certificate, Leaving Certificate and Leaving Certificate Applied and these are held from the 4 to the 20 June. The Northern Ireland Exam Board’s General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSEs) runs from the 28 April to the 20 June and its Advanced Level (A Level) and Advanced Supplementary Level (AS Level) examinations are held from 12 May to 25 June.
- Archbishop Diarmuid Martin, Archbishop of Dublin, launched the “Year of Vocation” on Vocations Sunday, 13 April last, and the Year runs until Vocations Sunday on 3 May 2009. The aim of the “Year of Vocation” is to raise awareness of the common vocation that we all share through baptism as expressed through witness, love and service. Within each of these themes and throughout 2008 – 2009, the specific vocations of priesthood, the religious life, marriage, single life and one’s career choice inside and outside of the home, will be highlighted and promoted.
- A special team has been established to manage and plan activities throughout the “Year of Vocation”, and its members are drawn from the: Irish Bishops’ Conference, Conference of Religious of Ireland, Irish Missionary Union, Vocations Ireland, St Joseph’s Young Priest’s Society, Knights of Columbanus and lay personnel.
- Some highlights of the Year of Vocation include: a national prayer campaign for students; a rally for World Youth Day, collaboration with the national pilgrimage centres to reflect on the theme of vocation during their seasons and a special Year of Vocation song You Will Be My Witnesses. Please see www.yourvocation.ie
Martin Long, Director of Communications (086 172 7678)
Brenda Drumm, Communications Officer (087 233 7797)