16 May 2008
Launch of specially commissioned ‘Year of Vocation’ song
Venue: St John of God Hospital, Stillorgan, Co Dublin
Time and Date: 4.00pm on Saturday 17 May 2008
In attendance: Representatives from dioceses and religious orders.
Notes for Editors
- Archbishop Diarmuid Martin, Archbishop of Dublin, launched the “Year of Vocation” on Vocations Sunday, 13 April last, and the Year runs until Vocations Sunday on 3 May 2009. The aim of the “Year of Vocation” is to raise awareness of the common vocation that we all share through baptism as expressed through witness, love and service. Within each of these themes and throughout 2008 – 2009, the specific vocations of priesthood, the religious life, marriage, single life and one’s career choice inside and outside of the home, will be highlighted and promoted.
- A special team has been established to manage and plan activities throughout the “Year of Vocation”, and its members are drawn from the: Irish Bishops’ Conference, Conference of Religious of Ireland, Irish Missionary Union, Vocations Ireland, St Joseph’s Young Priest’s Society, Knights of Columbanus and lay personnel.
- Some highlights of the Year include: a national prayer campaign for students; a rally for World Youth Day, collaboration with the national pilgrimage centres to reflect on the theme of vocation during their seasons.
- You will be My Witnesses (Acts 1:8) is the theme of this year’s World Youth Day at which Pope Benedict XVI will celebrate Mass. World Youth Day will take place in Sydney, Australia, between 14 – 21 July, 2008.
- You will be My Witnesses is available in CD format and, along with other details and resources for the “Year of Vocation”, can be accessed on www.yourvocation.ie and in Veritas bookshops.
Martin Long, Director of Communications (086 172 7678)
Brenda Drumm, Communications Officer (087 233 7797)