31st January 2008
Bishop Éamonn Walsh to host discussion with young people on alcohol issues on Friday 1 February 2008
· RTÉ broadcaster Joe Duffy to facilitate discussion and review of DVD
· Publication of Bishops’ submission to the Government’s Alcohol Advisory Group
In advance of Lent 2008 which begins on Ash Wednesday (6 February next), Bishop Éamonn Walsh, vice chair of the Bishops’ Drug and Alcohol Initiative, is hosting a discussion with young people on alcohol issues in society including:
– a review of the recently launched Catholic Bishops’ DVD on alcohol Find the Balance – Dare to Dream;
– launch of the online version of Find the Balance – Dare to Dream; and,
– the submission this week, by the Bishops’ Drugs and Alcohol Initiative, to the Government’s Alcohol Advisory Group.
You, or a representative, are invited to attend this discussion which will be facilitated by RTÉ broadcaster and columnist Joe Duffy.
Time and date: 11:00am on Friday, 1 February 2008
Venue: Veritas Head Office, 7 – 8 Lower Abbey Street, Dublin 1
In attendance: Mr Joe Duffy, RTÉ; Bishop Éamonn Walsh; pupils and teachers from Tallaght Community College, Our Lady’s College Greenhills Drogheda and, Holy Family Secondary School Saggart, Co Dublin.
Notes to Editors
On 15 November 2007 in Tallaght Community School in Dublin, Cardinal Seán Brady, Archbishop Diarmuid Martin, Archbishop of Dublin. and Bishop Éamonn Walsh launched the DVD for secondary schools Find the Balance, Dare to Dream to 150 students, staff, public representatives and members of the media. Since then this DVD, accompanied with teachers’ notes, has been distributed to 875 post-primary schools across the island, North and South, for use at senior cycle level for both the examination and non-examination options. Pupils will offer feedback on the DVD and on alcohol use amongst young people in contemporary Irish society.
Refreshments will be served.
Martin Long, Director of Communications (086 172 7678)
Kathy Tynan, Communications Officer (086 817 5674)