6 OCTOBER 2006
CATHOLIC CHURCH DELEGATION MEETING
WITH THE DEMOCRATIC UNIONIST PARTY
Parliament Buildings, Stormont, Monday 9th October 2006 at 9.30a.m.
The Catholic Church delegation will be made up of representatives of NICCOSA
(Northern Ireland Catholic Council on Social Affairs), of which Archbishop
Seán Brady is the Chair.
The delegation will include:
– Archbishop Seán Brady (Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All-Ireland)
– Bishop Francis Lagan (Auxiliary Bishop of Derry)
– Fr Timothy Bartlett (Secretary to the Northern Bishops)
– Mrs Deirdre O’Rawe (Regional Director of ACCORD NI, the Catholic Marriage
– Mr Martin O’Brien (Barrister)
– Mrs Anne Gibson (Solicitor)
Issues to be raised by the Church will include:
1.) Supporting the family based on marriage.
2.) Ethics of life issues – abortion, euthanasia, stem-cell research.
4.) Poverty, economic development and rural issues.
5.) Addressing sectarianism and racism.
6.) Issues in the Northern Ireland Peace Process.
As with other meetings between the DUP and the other Christian Churches, a
statement may be made after the meeting but questions from the media will not
be taken as the details of the discussions will be considered private.
Martin Long Director of Communications (086 172 7678)
Brenda Drumm Communications Officer (087 233 7797)