Thurles Cathedral Reopening Ceremony this Sunday (5th October 2003)
A large attendance of bishops, priests and people is expected at the reopening of the Cathedral of the Assumption, Thurles, Co Tipperary by the Most Reverend Dermot Clifford, Archbishop of Cashel and Emly, at 3.00pm on Sunday 5 October 2003.
The original building of the Cathedral was undertaken by Archbishop Patrick Leahy in 1865, and it was solemnly dedicated by Archbishop Thomas Croke on 22 June 1879. Pope Pius IX donated some ancient marble to the Cathedral which has many significant architectural and artistic features. The design was influenced by that of the 12th Century Cathedral of Pisa in Italy, and it also reflects a continuity with the original Cathedral of the Archdiocese, Cormac’s Chapel on the Rock of Cashel.
Major renovation work was undertaken in the late 1940s and again in 1979 in preparation for the celebration of the Centenary of the Cathedral. The present renovation, which includes a new baptismal font by the Dublin liturgical artist Mark Ryan, represents the happy outcome of careful planning, good workmanship, expert advice and the generous cooperation and support of the people of Thurles and the entire Archdiocese of Cashel & Emly.
The restoration work cost €2million in total, and it is hoped that the remaining debt will be paid off within 12 months.
The following additional information is attached:
* A Short History of the Cathedral by Rev Christy O’Dwyer click here
* A Review of the Recent Conservation and Restoration Work to the Cathedral by Michael O’Boyle of Bluett & O’Donoghue, Architects click here
* Homily of Archbishop Dermot Clifford (strictly embargoed until 3.00pm on Sunday 5th October) click here
3rd October 2003
Fr Eugene Everard, Administrator of the Cathedral (087) 235 2996
Catholic Communications Office (01) 505 3000
Fr Martin Clarke (087) 220 8044
Ms Brenda Drumm (087) 233 7797