The Council of Liturgy of the Irish Catholic Bishops’ Conference
This Council comes under the Episcopal Commission for Worship, Pastoral and Faith Development
The National Centre for Liturgy,
St Patrick’s College,
Tel: +353 (0) 1 708 3478 Fax: +353 (0) 1 708 3477
To view content on this site related to Liturgy, click on the following tag
In the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, the first document of the Second Vatican Council (1962-65), the establishment of an institute of pastoral liturgy was recommended. The late Mgr Seán Swayne (1933-1996), a priest of the diocese of Kildare and Leighlin, studied liturgy at the Institut Supérieur de Liturgie in Paris in the years immediately after the Council and returned in 1968 to teach at Carlow College. In May 1973 he was appointed the Bishops’ first national secretary for liturgy. This he saw as an opportunity to establish an institute of pastoral liturgy, which would house the secretariat and also be an outreach into parishes and communities. He sought a place of prayer, study, reflection and welcome. The secretariat was based at Mount St Anne’s, near Portarlington in 1973 and a one year course in liturgy was established the following year as well as providing shorter courses and days on aspects of the renewed liturgy. The Centre moved to Carlow College in 1978 and to its third and present home at St Patrick’s College, Maynooth in August 1996.
The National Centre for Liturgy houses the Secretariat for Liturgy and its agencies. It continues the work of Liturgical Formation through its Courses.