Message from Bishop Denis Nulty, Chair of the Council for Marriage & the Family
World Day for Grandparents & Elderly takes place on Sunday, 23 July. The National Grandparents Pilgrimage will celebrating this day in Knock Shrine. The anointing of the sick will take place at 2.30pm with Mass at 3pm. Families from across Ireland are encouraged to travel.
This is the third year celebrating this event. It is hoped that parishes using the attached resources might celebrate and mark this event during one of their Sunday Masses. The theme offered by Pope Francis this year is ‘His mercy is from age to age’ (Lk.1:50). We all know the wonderful part played by the elderly and by grandparents in all our parishes, so it is all the more important that we mark the celebration locally as well as universally.
I hope you find some of the resources below helpful, such as the World Day for Grandparents & Elderly Prayer, the Prayer of the Faithful, and this year’s Message from Pope Francis.
Chair, Council for Marriage & the Family
- Message of Pope Francis for World Day for Grandparents & Elderly 2023
- Prayer of the Faithful for World Day of Grandparents Elderly 2023
- Official Prayer for World Day for Grandparents & Elderly 2023
- Catechesis on Old Age – World Day for Grandparents and the Elderly 2023
- Pastoral Resources for World Day of Grandparents & Elderly 2023
- World Day for Grandparents & Elderly 2023 – Knock Poster