Media diary notice for Friday 12 September 2014
You, or a representative, are invited to attend the photocall and launch for the ‘Good to know before you go’ campaign by the Irish Council for Prisoners Overseas. This social media awareness campaign is targeted at young Irish emigrants and encourages them to take care of themselves and each other, while also respecting laws and customs in other countries. The campaign consists of a brief online video which viewers are encouraged to view, share and retweet, as well as humorous images and messages. Two young people with recent emigrant experience will be available to speak to media at the launch. Details:
Time and date 2:00pm on Friday 12 September 2014
Venue Terminal 2 in Dublin Airport, in departures on the third floor, before the security screening area and close to the picture of the Irish thoroughbred racehorse Istabraq
In attendance Bishop John Kirby, Bishop of Clonfert and Chair of the Irish Bishops’ Council for Emigrants will launch the campaign; Ms Joanna Joyce, Coordinator of the ICPO will show the brief ‘Good to know before you go’ emigrant video; Mr Alan Brogan (32) is a member of the Dublin GAA Senior football panel and is commercial manager for the print management company Custodian Consultancy. Alan will speak of his experience as a scaffolder in Sydney Australia, and in building maintenance in Manhattan, New York; and, Ms Molly Joyce (26) is a post-graduate student currently employed in Dublin city who previously worked in Hong Kong.
Notes for Editors
- Irish prisoners overseas face significant difficulties, including dealing an unfamiliar legal system, discrimination and language barriers. Some prisoners experience extreme hardship, with limited access to basic necessities, and in some jurisdictions prison conditions and safety are a major cause of concern. The Irish Council for Prisoners Overseas (ICPO) provides information and support to Irish prisoners overseas and their families. The ICPO was established by the Irish Catholic Bishops’ Conference in 1985 in response to serious concerns regarding the number of Irish men and women in UK prisons. The ICPO is a subcommittee of the Irish Episcopal Council for Emigrants (IECE) and comes under the Episcopal Commission for Pastoral Care. Our objectives are to:
– Identify and respond to the needs of Irish prisoners abroad and their families;
– Research and provide relevant information to prisoners on issues such as deportation, repatriation and transfer;
– Focus public attention on issues affecting Irish prisoners;
– Engage in practical work in aid of justice and human rights for Irish migrants, refugees and prisoners at an international level;
– Visit Irish prisoners abroad when possible in the UK and elsewhere.
- After tomorrow’s launch the ‘Good to know before you go’ emigrant video will be available on our new website www.icpo.ie, on our Facebook page: Irish Council for Prisoners Overseas, and on Twitter @ICPOprisoners
- Photographs from the launch for publication by media will be available from John McElroy on 00 353 (0) 87 241 6985.
For media contact: Catholic Communications Office Maynooth: Martin Long 00353 (0) 86 172 7678