Media information for the Episcopal Ordination of Father Ray Browne as Bishop of Kerry
You or a representative are invited to attend the Episcopal Ordination of Father Ray Browne as Bishop of Kerry. Details:
Time and date 3:00pm on Sunday 21 July 2013
Venue Saint Mary’s Cathedral, Killarney, County Kerry
In attendance Bishops, religious, priests, laity, family members and guests
The principal ordaining bishop will be Archbishop Dermot Clifford, Archbishop of Cashel and Emly, assisted by His Excellency the Apostolic Nuncio to Ireland, Archbishop Charles J Brown and Bishop William Murphy, Bishop of Kerry. The ordination will be concelebrated by His Eminence Cardinal Seán Brady, Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland and Rev Professor Séamus O’Connell will preach the homily.
An area for media has been reserved in Saint Mary’s Cathedral. Due to limited capacity access will be gained to the ordination Mass by officially accredited media only. Media are invited to confirm their attendance with the Catholic Communications Office, Maynooth, by end of business on Wednesday 17 July 2013. Bishop Browne will be available to speak to media immediately after his episcopal ordination on the steps of Saint Mary’s Cathedral.
A pooling arrangement is in place for photographs. Valerie O’Sullivan has been retained by the diocese as the official photographer for the ceremony. If photographs are required please contact Valerie directly on: 00 353 (0) 87 2629375 or e-mail [email protected]
The ordination Mass will be broadcast live by Radio Kerry between 3:00 and 5:00pm on Sunday 21 July.
The Ordination ceremony will be live streamed on dioceseofkerry.ie. You can also go directly to goo.gl/N5fjn to access the streaming. If you have an iphone, you will need to use the following link: http://126.96.36.199:1935/live/kac/playlist.m3u8
Mary Fagan, Director of Communications for the Diocese of Kerry, will meet and brief the media at 2:00pm – one hour before the ceremony – at Bishop’s House, Killarney on Sunday 21 July.
Notes for Editors
- On 2 May 2013, His Holiness Pope Francis appointed Father Ray A Browne, Parish Priest of Ballagh Parish, Co Roscommon, Diocese of Elphin as the new Bishop of Kerry.
- The Diocese of Kerry has a Catholic population of over 144,000 people, comprising of 53 parishes and 111 churches. The Patron of the Diocese is Saint Brendan. The diocese includes County Kerry and part of County Cork see dioceseofkerry.ie
- Details of Bishop-elect Ray Browne’s life and ministry are below:
- Primary School: Saint Paul’s Mercy Convent School and Dean Kelly National School, both in Athlone, Co Westmeath.
- Secondary School: Summerhill College, Sligo from 1969 – 1974.
- Third Level: Seminary Student for Elphin Diocese from 1974 – 1982
- University College Cork, BSc 1978
- Saint Patrick’s College, Maynooth BD 1981
- Gregorian University Rome Licence in Canon Law 1983
- Ordained on Sunday 4 July 1982 in the Church of Saints Peter and Paul, Athlone.
- Spiritual Director at Summerhill College from October 1983 – June 1986
- Parish Curate in Roscommon Town from September 1986 – July 1988
- Galway Marriage Regional Tribunal:
- Staff Member from July 1988 – July 1995
- Judicial Vicar from October 2002 – July 2008
- Parish Curate in Saint Mary’s (Cathedral Parish), Sligo from 1995 – 2002
- Parish Priest of Ballagh Parish, Co Roscommon from August 2008 – 2013.
- Diocesan Designated Person for Safeguarding Children since August 2008.
For media contact: Mary Fagan, Director of Communications for the Diocese of Kerry 00 353 (0) 87 1301555 or the Catholic Communications Office Maynooth: Martin Long 00353 (0) 86 172 7678