“Today’s Eucharistic Procession in Cork is an opportunity for the people of the city to give public witness to their faith … let us remember in our prayers our loved ones who have emigrated from the city and who were now working away or living abroad” – Bishop Buckley
- Eucharistic Procession to be televised live for the first time by Cork Community Television Channel from Daunt’s Square, and also live streaming will be facilitated on www.corkcity.ie/tv
Bishop John Buckley, Bishop of Cork and Ross, today welcomed the large attendance at the Annual Eucharistic Procession in Cork which took place to mark the Feast of Corpus Christi. This year the Eucharistic Procession in Cork was celebrated in the context of ‘The Year of Faith’, the major pastoral initiative of the Universal Church during 2013.
Bishop Buckley said, “Today’s Eucharistic Procession provides an opportunity for the people of the city to give public witness to their faith. I warmly congratulate the many Catholic groups which have generously contributed to the pastoral life of our city and I wish to personally acknowledge their participation in this special liturguical event today.” Bishop Buckley imparted a Blessing to the sick and infirm before ascending the Altar.
His Excellency Archbishop Charles Brown, the Apostolic Nuncio to Ireland, delivered the homily at a specially erected Altar in Daunt’s Square. Archbishop Brown stressed that the Holy Eucharist is at the very heart of the Church and that the Eucharist makes the Church, in which there is a multiplicity of roles and an equality of dignity. In particular, Archbishop Brown praised the role of women in the Church and invited young men to be open to the call of the Lord to follow him as priests.
As well as parishes from throughout the diocese, other groups participated in the Annual Eucharistic Procession included the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul; the various Sick Poor Societies; and the post-primary students of SHARE. Various spiritual groups also participated such as the Legion of Mary; the Pioneers Total Abstenance Association; and a group undertaking Catechism studies. Due to the Ordination yesterday of Father Seán Crowley in the parish of Enniskeane, seminarians and clergy from throughout the country were also in attendance to join this year’s Eucharistic Procession in Cork.
For 2013, as in previous years, the numbers were greatly enhanced by members of the Asian, African and Eastern European communities in the city. A particular welcome was afforded by the large crowd in Daunt’s Square to greet the arrival of the Polish and Indian communities, accompanied by their chaplains. As before special places were reserved for the sick and those in wheelchairs adjacent to the altar in Daunt’s Square.
Bishop Buckley stated that the procession in Cork was an initiative by lay people and would continue for as long as the people of Cork wanted it. He had earlier encouraged people to pray for those families and individuals suffering from the current economic recession. He said that he was particularly mindful – in this time of fewer jobs – of those who would be graduating from college this summer and of those students who will sit their Leaving Certificate on Wednesday. Bishop Buckley also asked the faithful to remember, in their prayers, our loved ones who have emigrated from the city and who were now working away or living abroad.
Bishop Buckley concluded by thanking the members of the City Council and the An Garda Síochána for their assistance with this year’s procession. He also thanked the Cathedral Choir for their singing and Amanda Neri, the Soloist. He acknowledged also the contribution of the retired members of the Defence Forces, including those members who have served abroad. Bishop Buckley also thanked the Civil Defence, Order of Malta and Red Cross and the other Voluntary Organisations who assisted at the Procession.
The procession was also joined by the Lord Mayor of Cork City, Councillor John Buttimer, members of the City Council, public representatives and representatives of University College Cork.
Notes for Editors
- Cork’s Eucharistic Procession in now in its 88th year. It commenced in 1926 when a group of businessmen in the city approached the then bishop, Bishop Daniel Coholan, with a view to having a Eucharistic Procession in the city to mark the Feast of Corpus Christi. It was hoped that such a special liturgical event would unite the community and heal the divisions and bitterness which affected society at that time.
- In order to facilitate the housebound, patients in hospitals and nursing homes and Cork people across the world for this Year of the Gathering – for the very first time this year – the entire Daunt’s Square ceremony was broadcast live on the Cork Community Television Channel and on the internet. By kind permission of the Board of Management, live coverage will available on Cork Community TV Channel 803-UPC from 2.45pm approx. With the permission of the City Manager and Cork City Council, live coverage will be available on www.corkcity.ie/tv also from 2.45pm approx.
- Participants in the Eucharistic Procession started assembling in the grounds of the North Cathedral at 2.30pm. The Procession left the North Cathedral at 3.00pm and proceeds down Roman Street, Upper John Street, along Camden Quay, Saint Patrick’s Bridge and Saint Patrick’s Street en-route to Daunt’s Square. The religious ceremony began in Daunt’s Square at 2.45pm. The Rosary was recited and hymns and sacred music will be performed by the Choir of the Cathedral of Saint Mary and Saint Anne.
For media contact: Diocesan Office of Cork and Ross 00 353 (0) 21 4301717 and/or Catholic Communications Office, Maynooth: Martin Long 00353 (0) 86 1727678