New Papal Nuncio arrives in Ireland
The new Papal Nuncio to Ireland, Archbishop Charles John Brown, arrived in Ireland today and was greeted at Dublin Airport by Cardinal Seán Brady Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of all Ireland, and Archbishop Diarmuid Martin, Archbishop of Dublin.
Please see below a summary of the ministry of Archbishop Brown.
Notes to Editors
- Archbishop Charles John Brown was born in New York, United States of America, on 13 October 1959.
- He was ordained priest for the Archdiocese of New York in Saint Patrick’s Cathedral on 13 May 1989.
- He served as curate in the Parish of Saint Brendan, in the Bronx, New York, from 1989 to 1991.
- From 1994 Monsignor Brown has been attached to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in Rome.
- He was appointed Chaplain to His Holiness on 6 May 2000.
- He was appointed Assistant Secretary to the International Theological Commission in September 2009.
- He was ordained an archbishop by Pope Benedict XVI in St Peter’s on 6 January 2012.
- Monsignor Brown holds the following academic degrees:
BA in history, University of Notre Dame, Indiana (USA)
MA in Theology, Oxford University (England)
MA in Medieval Studies, Toronto University (Canada)
M.Div., St Joseph’s Seminary, New York (USA)
STL and STD in Sacramental Theology, Saint Anselm Pontifical Athenaeum (Rome)