Family Prayer Resources for Advent and Christmas
Bishops’ Council for Marriage and Family publishes special prayer resources for Advent and Christmas
“These prayers and blessings for the home are offered as opportunities for families to pause, take time out together and reflect on the true meaning of Christmas” – Bishop Jones
This Sunday, 27 November, is the First Sunday of Advent and marks the beginning of the new Church year. The Council for Marriage and the Family of the Irish Bishops’ Conference has published resources to assist families in their spiritual preparation during Advent and Christmas 2011.
Advent – from the Latin word adventus means “coming” – is the Christian Church’s season of waiting and preparation for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus. The resources published today comprise a leaflet of blessings and prayers for use by all Christians during Advent and Christmas:
- Blessing of the Advent Wreath in the home (see above)
- Blessing of the Crib in the home
- Blessing of the Christmas tree in the home
- Family table prayer for Christmas Day
- Prayer for the Feast of the Holy Family [Friday 30 December]
Commenting on the resources Bishop Christopher Jones, Bishop of Elphin and chair of the Council for Marriage and the Family said, “The family home is called the domestic Church because it is the place where children learn the message of Christ for the first time. These prayers and blessings for the home for Advent and Christmas are offered as opportunities for families to pause, to take time out together and to reflect on the true meaning of Christmas during this Advent Season, when we prepare for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus. I ask parishes around the country to support the promotion of these prayerful resources which have been specially designed for use by families.”
As well as the prayers and blessings for Advent and Christmas, the Council has prepared a Prayer for the Feast of the Holy Family on Friday 30 December.
Notes to Editors
- The Council for Marriage and the Family of the Irish Episcopal Conference assists the Episcopal Conference principally to respond to contemporary issues facing marriage and family life. Further information on the Council is available on www.catholicbishops.ie/family
- Advent begins on Sunday 27 November.
Catholic Communications Office Maynooth: Martin Long 00353 (0) 86 172 7678 and Brenda Drumm 00353 (0) 87 310 4444