Vatican announcement regarding Diocese of Galway
23 MAY 2005
VATICAN ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING
DIOCESE OF GALWAY
The Holy Father Benedict XVI has accepted the resignation of the Most Reverend
James McLoughlin, Bishop of Galway. It was presented in accord with canon
401 § 1 of the Code of Canon Law.
The Holy Father has appointed as Bishop of Galway the Most Reverend Martin
Drennan, until now Titular Bishop of Acque Regie and Auxiliary of Dublin.
23 May 2005
Brenda Drumm Communications Officer (087 233 7797)
NOTES TO EDITORS:
* Canon 401 § 1 of the Code of Canon Law states: A diocesan Bishop who has
completed his seventy-fifth year of age is requested to offer his resignation
from office to the Supreme Pontiff, who, taking all the circumstances into
account, will make provision accordingly.
* Bishop James McLoughlin was born in Galway on 9th April 1929. He was ordained
priest on 20 June 1954 and ordained Bishop of Galway on 28 March 1993. He
tendered his resignation on 9th April 2004. Bishop McLoughlin is a member
of the Irish Bishops’ Conference (IBC) Department of Planning and Communications.
* Bishop Martin Drennan was born on 2 January 1944. He was ordained priest
for the Diocese of Ossory on 16 June 1968. He was ordained Titular Bishop of
Acque Regie and Auxiliary Bishop of Dublin on 21 September 1997. He is a member
of the IBC’s Department of Catholic Education and Formation, Chairman of the
IBC’s Commission on Catechetics and a member of the IBC’s Commission on Religious.
* The Diocese of Galway, Kilmnacduagh and Kilfenora has: 38 parishes, 71 Catholic
Churches and a Catholic population of 102,425. The Patrons of the Diocese are –
Galway: Our Lady Assumed into Heaven Kilmacduagh: St Colman and Kilfenora: St Fachanan.
* Photographs of Bishop McLoughlin and Bishop Drennan are available on request
from the Catholic Communications Office.